The Applications to the LaunchYU Entrepreneurial Experience Program for youth are open.
Apply before April 22, 2018: http://launchyu.ca/experience/apply/
The LaunchYU Entrepreneurial Experience program is a 4 month program, that helps students and youth gain experience of building and launching a startup during the summer. LaunchYU has partnered with the School of Administrative Studies, Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies (LA&PS) and York Entrepreneurship Development Institute (YEDI) for this exciting new program.
Who can apply:
- The program will select 20 students from the Bachelor of Commerce program, School of Administrative Studies, Faculty of LA&PS
- The program will also accept 10 students/youth (ages 15-29 years) from other faculties and external community.
- Students will apply with their business idea and the program accepts for-profit ventures, not-for-profit ventures, as well as for-profit social enterprises.
Stipend, Awards, and Course Credits:
- Each participating B.Comm. student will receive $2,000 as stipend for participating in the program
- Each B.Comm. student will also be be eligible to receive course credits for participating in the program.
- Participants will have the opportunity to apply for $3000 Ontario Summer Company Program provided by the Small Business Centres at the City of Vaughan, Richmond Hill, and Markham for these grants.
- In addition to all this, each participant will have an opportunity to compete for up to $30,000 in cash awards.
What to expect from the program:
- The program provides lectures, workshops and one-on-one mentorship that help early-stage ventures as they create, launch and grow their businesses.
- The program also provides access to resources like collaborative working space, legal advice and services, cloud and virtual infrastructure, access to maker spaces, investor meet-ups, industry connections, and more.
- At the end of the program, ventures participate at a Graduation Demo Day where they pitch to an audience consisting of investors, corporate executives, successful entrepreneurs and government officials.
- We will accept a maximum of 30 individual entrepreneurs (including 20 LA&PS students and 10 other youth) in this program. We will only accept one co-founder per venture. If there are multiple co-founders for the startup, only the primary applicant will be considered for the program.
- The LaunchYU Entrepreneurial Experience Program is designed to support all types of ventures, including for-profit, not-for-profit, and for-profit social enterprises.
- The program includes weekly 3 hour on-site sessions conducted by industry experts in various startup topics and intensive one-on-one sessions with mentors that are scheduled at the convenience of participants and mentors.
- A maximum of 30 entrepreneurs will be selected for this program. This includes up to 20 students from the B.Comm. Program at the Faculty of LA&PS, and 10 other youth entrepreneurs.
- All applications submitted will be evaluated and selected applicants will be invited for an in-person interview.
- The final selection of participating entrepreneurs is made after the interviews.
- The entrepreneurs are evaluated based on 2 major criteria:
- Potential impact of the venture idea and the ability of the venture to scale
- Capability of the entrepreneur and the founding team to execute
- The LaunchYU Entrepreneurial Experience Program is offered at no cost to the participating entrepreneurs.
- LaunchYU or York University does not charge any fees or claim any equity share from the entrepreneurs participating in the LaunchYU AccelerateUP Program.
- The only contribution expected from the participants is their commitment to their venture and their active participation in the program.
- Application Deadline: April 22, 2018
- Program Start Date: May 7 2018
- Graduation & Launch Day: End of August, 2018