The Applications to the LaunchYU Entrepreneurial Experience Program for youth are open.
Apply before April 1, 2018: http://launchyu.ca/experience/apply/
The LaunchYU Entrepreneurial Experience program is a 4 month program, that helps students and youth to help gain an experience building and launching a startup during the summer. LaunchYU has partnered with the School of Administrative Studies, Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies (LA&PS) and York Entrepreneurship Development Institute (YEDI) for this exciting new program.
The program will accept 30 students/youth for this program.
Of these, up to 20 students will be from York University's Faculty of LA&PS, who have undertaken the course ADMS 3920. The remaining 10 will be youth (ages 15-29 years) from York University and external community.
The intensive program provides lectures, workshops, one-on-one mentorship, and other services to help young entrepreneurs create and launch early-stage ventures. The program also provides access to resources like collaborative working space, legal advice and services, cloud and virtual infrastructure, access to maker spaces, investor meet-ups, industry connections, and more.
At the end of the program, entrepreneurs participate at a Graduation Demo Day where they pitch to an audience consisting of investors, corporate executives, successful entrepreneurs and government officials.
Funding for Entrepreneurs:
The program offers multiple funding opportunities to participating entrepreneurs:
- The 20 students from the Faculty of LA&PS will each be awarded $2000 in funding towards their startups.
- All 30 participants will have the opportunity to win upto 5 awards for $3000 and 3 awards of $5000 from YEDI.
- Participants will have the opportunity to apply for $3000 Ontario Summer Company Program provided by the Small Business Centres at the City of Vaughan, Richmond Hill, and Markham for these grants.
- We will accept a maximum of 30 individual entrepreneurs (including 20 LA&PS students and 10 other youth) in this program. We will only accept one co-founder per venture. If there are multiple co-founders for the startup, only the primary applicant will be considered for the program.
- The LaunchYU Entrepreneurial Experience Program is designed to support all types of ventures, including for-profit, not-for-profit, and for-profit social enterprises.
- The program includes weekly 3 hour on-site sessions conducted by industry experts in various startup topics and intensive one-on-one sessions with mentors that are scheduled at the convenience of participants and mentors.
- A maximum of 30 entrepreneurs will be selected for this program. This includes up to 20 students from the Faculty of LA&PS who have take the pre-requisite ADMS 3920 course, and 10 other youth entrepreneurs.
- All applications submitted will be evaluated and selected applicants will be invited for an in-person interview.
- The final selection of participating entrepreneurs is made after the interviews.
- The entrepreneurs are evaluated based on 2 major criteria:
- Potential impact of the venture idea and the ability of the venture to scale
- Capability of the entrepreneur and the founding team to execute
- The LaunchYU Entrepreneurial Experience Program is offered at no cost to the participating entrepreneurs.
- LaunchYU or York University does not charge any fees or claim any equity share from the entrepreneurs participating in the LaunchYU AccelerateUP Program.
- The only contribution expected from the participants is their commitment to their venture and their active participation in the program.
- Application Deadline: April 1, 2018
- Program Start Date: May 2018 (final date TBC)
- First Cash Awards (5 awards of $3000 each): Early July, 2018
- Second Cash Awards (3 awards of $5000 each): End of August, 2018
- Graduation & Launch Day: End of August, 2018